Sunday, November 20, 2016

Why do stupid people go on quiz shows??

Image from: Amazon

Image:  clipart.co

So yet again I am roaring in frustration at the television, my patience once again severely tested as another 'Catchphrase' contestant gets a blindingly obvious 'catchphrases' wrong.
 Why on earth did he apply to go on that show in the first place?

The same goes for people on 'Tipping Point'. 
Yet again I am roaring at the television when a person says the Capital of Austria is Berlin, or that it was Morrisey who sang "the Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" with Bing Crosby.
Myself and my Mother were incredulous the other week when someone got a load of questions right, but got very little counters from the machine, yet someone who got just ONE question correct got 11 counters.



Image from: rocksoundtv

It has lead me to seriously question the vetting procedures for these shows.
Do they even check to see if the proposed contestant has a decent level of general knowledge?
Hy hunch is that they merely pick a person by where they live, and that's all that matters.
Yes I get it that it's important to have a equitable geographical spread of guests - Lord knows how vociferous my Auntie gets when no-one from Dublin is on an episode of Winning Streak!

They obviously assume the person must have a good knowledge level for to actually apply to these shows, but it seems that is not always the case.

Image from: The Star Newspaper

It is great to see when someone gets a 'Pointless; answer on the quiz show 'Pointless' (And 10 times  better if I also thought of that answer!), or someone gets 5 or more questions right in the rapid fire round on Tipping Point.
But people falling flat on their faces on TV, getting the most basic questions wrong and so forth is ruining my enjoyment of these shows, and I find myself turning off mid episode more and more frequently.



Image from: RTE Archives


So here is a plea to producers of Game Shows - Please test people before admitting them onto your show, so I can get back to enjoying quiz shows the way I used to; Oh and R.T.E any chance of bringing Where in the World back?  I swear 10 year old me loved it for more than the fact Theresa Lowe was the presenter!


Image From: RTE Archives

No comments: