Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Tears for Fears -

Tears for Fears -Musical Meditation in a Mad World


I first came across Tears for Fears, and the musical musings of Roland Olazabal and Curt Smith when I was about 10 years of age. 
I had found a mix tape of songs my sister had recorded off the radio, and bored with nothing to do, put it in the stereo and pressed play. 
Two songs in particular grabbed me "What's the Colour of Money" by 'Hollywood Beyond', and "
EverybodyWants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. 
While Hollywood beyond were really and truly a one hit wonder band, Tears for Fears were anything but.
A short while later I heard another Tears for Fears song on the radio, and from that point on I fell
Head over heels in love with their music.

Image From: Smash Hits


When I was in my mid teens, with the freedom to spend money now I was getting pocket money, I was able to buy "Tears Roll Down" Tears for Fears Greatest Hits. 
After coming home and listening to the CD in my bedroom, I was left with plenty to
Shout about to my school friends the next day.
 They were all into the newly emerging Green Day, Cranberries and the likes of Tu-Pac Shakur. 
I was astounded that they had never heard of Tears for Fears. Given the fact they had split around 1990,  in hindsight, I can see now why they may not have heard of them. 
I think my friends got a bit browned off at me, given how they would quickly
Change the subject when I talked about Tears for Fears, trying to give them another encyclopedic rundown of a particular song.

But these two lads from Bath in England were musical geniuses. 
Roland was very into the works of Sigmund Fried and the Primal Scream therapy of Arthur Janov. 
Hence the reason for naming their most successful album of all "Songs from the Big Chair", and the deep dark lyrics of a number of their songs.
I'm the type of music fan where the lyrics and melody appeal to me far more than the actual music. 
To my mind a good song is top notch poetry put to music. 
Tears for Fears ticked all my boxes, and a big fan I duly became.


Image from: Tears for Fears



Curt Smith was driven mad by the perfectionist way his fellow band mate wanted songs to be recorded and produced. 
Indeed the "Sowing the seeds" album took over a year longer than planned to make, and ran way over budget, due to countless re-recordings and re-dubbings of the tracks for the album. 
Allied with the fact Smith was getting tired of the jet set celebrity scene he had been thrust onto against his will, so to speak, he decided to call it a day. 
In an interview given in the last 90's, Smith spoke about his love of New York where he now lived, and the joy playing the intimate solo gigs in a local coffee shop every week gave him. 

So Tears for Fears had faded from most people's consciousness, apart from tapping the steering wheel as the 80's show on the radio played another of their hits.
And it had faded from mine too.
By this stage, I had discovered Van Morrison, and it was a major case of playing catch up, as I devoured the back catalogue of the man from Hyndford Street, East Belfast.
Image from: Radio.com


Then in 2003, an article appeared online which knocked me for six. 
No I said, this cannot be real, surely they is a hoax?  The article claimed Tears for Fears had made up and were currently recording a new studio album, due for release soon. 
I suppose
Memories fade, and with the passing of time, people remember the good times a lot clearer than the bad, and they got back together. 
So here I sit, in front of my computer, typing away as I listen to more of their songs. 
Roland Olazabal gave an interview to Phil Williams on BBC 5 Live a good while ago.
He said Tears for Fears were planning to embark on another tour soon. 
I've just found out they are currently touring North America.
Fingers crossed they announce a tour of Europe too, and a certain venue on North Wall Quay is added at a later date!

ALL VIDEO CLIPS (C) YOUTUBE


No comments: