Monday, November 28, 2016

Christmas Music in shops


Image Dcinno/Shutterstock


I love Christmas, having all my family around, meeting relations you haven't seen a while, and gorging on all the chocolate and fancy biscuits.
But even though I super love Christmas time, I too realise there is a time and place for it.


Thus I come to the crux of my latest blog post - Christmas Music in shops.



Yet again whilst walking around a shop mere day after Halloween I was greeted by the blaring tones of John Lennon telling war is over if we wanted it to be.
It got me worked up into a rage.
It was too early, WAY too early in my view to be playing such songs; It would have still been feasible to play "The Monster Mash" or "Thriller" as Halloween was still very much in our psyche, but Christmas songs on November 2nd? NO.




It is now November 27th, the first Advent Candle was lit by Father Larry yesterday in my local church, and I am spending many hours watching the "MTV XMAS" Channel, as it is now appropriate tom play such songs.

Image from BBC


So I would like to propose the following to put us out of our yearly misery.
We could start in Dublin, and if it works, expand it elsewhere in the country.
So one oif the groups, be it "Dublin Town" or the "City Centre Business Association" would put up a list on it's website, and also link it to their Social Media accounts.
On this list is the names of the companies who have signed a pledge agreeing to hold off on playing Christmas Music in their store(s) until, say November 25th at the earliest.

So we could then avoid the shops who wreck our heads every year by playing Christmas songs from November 2nd every year.
 
Image from Evening Herald

 So what do people think? 
Would ye make it your business to purposely shop in those shops that signed up to the pledge?


And last but not least - check out this brilliant Lego video of Chris De Burgh's Christmas Classic 

No comments: