Monday, November 21, 2016

TO MY DA JIMMY




In 1945 as Europe was still in shock and war torn,
in Dublin a new Irish citizen was born,
in the maternity ward were cries of waaaa!
that wailing babby was my Da.

To the suburb of Dundrum he was ferried,
to the house his parents moved into when they got married,
soon to be wheeled through many lanes,
was their son they christened James.

An intellect in him the Christian Brothers did sow,
as he attended school in Westland Row,
by the time his schooling did end,
he had made many a life long friend.

Then one night all hail and hearty,
he headed along to a 21st party,
little did he know as to the birthday girl the band did sing,
she’d be the one he’d buy an engagement ring.

In the glare of the September sun in 1971,
a right crowd to Saint Joseph’s East Wall had come,
Jimmy Heffernan’s eyes glistened with pride,
as down the aisle walked Doreen Slater his bride.

As Pope John Paul was was packing his cases for Dublin,
down the road from the suburb of Crumlin,
nurses hurried about in a hospital called the Coombe,
Keeping an eye on twins in the emergency room.

The twins eventually left hospital and arrived home,
to the warmest loveliest abode anyone could have ever known,
the greatest love and care was shown to all 4 children.
by a mammy and daddy who were/are one in a million.

My Da took us on many trips to Wexford, but my god was the traffic hell,
though it was soothed somewhat by the songs of Bagatelle,
how I long for those warm summer nights,
when my father would enthral me with tales as we witnessed the skies delights.

Though he was a man of high intellect,
his persona it did not affect,
as humble and ordinary as can be,
often coaxed to sing a song or three!

I will forever cherish his words of encouragement and wisdom,
which to this day enables me to meet life’s challenges wherever they come,
little did he know when chatting to all those years ago,
how far his words would enable me to go.

Then 18 years ago the unthinkable occurred,
My Da, Jimmy Heffernan, suddenly departed this world,
the man who everyone regarded as their best friend,
had sadly met his physical end.

Yes a long time may have past, but by god do the memories last,
there is not a single day that goes by, that I don’t think of you and form a tear in my eye,
your name now adorns a headstone in Bohernabreena,
thanks for everything you did for me, my one in a million Da.

No comments: