Wednesday, April 5, 2017

“B” is for Bohs… and Barry.



After purchasing my match ticket, I headed out into the stands, as kick off drew closer.
I’ve yet to have my dinner, so I ravenously head for the Pie hut to get myself a good feed.
As I walk along a loud voice erupts “SEÁN!”. 
I look around and coming towards me with arms outstretched is my oul mucker Barry Lenihan.
“You’re my REAL brother” he opines.
Barry is the unofficial Bohemian Football Club mascot.
No one gets the fans singing like Barry does; when he starts to rev up for singing, you can see the gleeful expectation on some of the fans faces.


Barry doing What Barry does best!


Sadly Barry is not able to take the half time penalty kick anymore.
Protocol schmotocal – this is one piece of Health and Safety/insurance lark I’d happily put a red line through if I could.
You should have heard the roar of the crowd when Barry hit the back of the net, often after the third or four attempt at trying to beat the Bohs reserve goalkeeper,doing his half time warm up.
It was great to see the sheer joy on Barry’s face, as he ran towards the fans, arms aloft in celebration.
At that point I would give him the cup of tea and Wispa bar (the name of it whispered by Barry in reply) that I got him.


A fans eye view of Barry in action.

Recently Barry was missing from Dalymount Park for a few months.
It turned out he was in hospital recuperating from major surgery on his leg.
When he came back, the amount of fans coming up to him well wishing him, and telling him how happy they were to see him back, was something else.
The affection people have for the man from Whitehall truly is something else.
Spend just five minutes in his company, and I guarantee you you’ll leave with a big smile on your face and feeling happier with the world.
It was a great sight that night to see people give a full throated “B” after Barry began the chant that is his Dalymount trademark.

L is for Lenihan…. And Legend..


No comments: